(a) Corporate litigation
Thapar and Associates Law Firm’s extensive corporate practice has resulted in Thapar and Associates Law Firm spearheading some hard fought corporate control battles in India over the last two decades. Thapar and Associates Law Firm offers the benefit of a law firm that offers corporate advice and at the same time has substantial skills in strategizing and managing ‘control’ battles in and out of court including board control and management, orchestration of concerted shareholders action, institution of selective litigation in furtherance of corporate objectives and the holistic and seamless management of corporate and litigation activity in a hostile environment. Thapar and Associates Law Firm has the ability to bring together the shareholder, elements of the company and the Indian legal and regulatory environment in furtherance of specified objectives.
In any hostile control environment, Thapar and Associates Law Firm has capability in:
• Establishment of an appropriate strategy to secure control of a company on behalf of a client.
• Supporting the management of a board environment where rival parties are at issue.
• Orchestrating shareholder activity, public or private, to secure defined corporate control objectives.
• Securing client advantage through the creation of an internal company environment.
• Management of the Employee and Union constituencies in their impact on company control battles.
• Assisting in the formulation of an appropriate public relations strategy, where such is appropriate.
• Initiating and resisting boardroom maneuvers as strategy may dictate.
• Securing legitimate regulatory intervention, where such is advised.
• Instituting and defending corporate ‘control’ litigation emerging from Shareholder and Board disputes including acquisition and exit related litigation in all forums including the Company Law Board.
(b) General civil and criminal litigation
Thapar and Associates Law Firm offers a full feature civil and criminal trial and appellate practice service to all its corporate clients as part of its ‘one stop shop’ personal philosophy. Thapar and Associates Law Firm has wide experience in:
• Arbitration, domestic and international, including arbitrations under ICC, LCIA, Singapore Chamber of Commerce and UNCITRAL rules.
• General civil and commercial litigation throughout the country at all levels, original and appellate – Supreme Court of India, State High Courts, lower courts, and adjudicating tribunals.
• Select corporate criminal litigation including specifically corporate frauds and tort liability.
• Property and Real Estate litigation.
• Labor and Employee litigation.
• Government contracts.
• Defamation, privacy and personal injury claims.
• Product Liability claims.
• Liability claims made against accounting firms.
• Antitrust law and consumer protection actions.
(c) Government Enforcement Litigation
Thapar and Associates Law Firm’s extensive corporate practice has inevitably resulted in the acquisition of experience in Government initiated enforcement litigation of the widest spectrum under all applicable statutes and regulations. We have extensive experience of defending litigation initiated under the Companies Act, under the foreign exchange management regime, securities regulations (SEBI), industrial regulation statutes, human resource and labor protection statutes, and under municipal and local laws. As a matter of course, Thapar and Associates Law Firm practices extensively before specialty tribunals, enforcement officers, assessing officers, appellate tribunals, civil and company courts.